Feb 13, 2017 Print This Article

Alumni highlight: Rev. A. Trevor Sutton

Trevor Sutton

“I still have a hard time believing that God has blessed me with the great gift of being a pastor! I simply love telling people about Jesus, praying with them, walking with them through struggles and celebrating with them in times of joy,” says Rev. A. Trevor Sutton, who, for nearly five years, has served as the associate pastor at St. Luke Lutheran Church in Haslett, Mich. Through God’s tremendous work, St. Luke recently started a new second campus. Read more about it here.

Along with preaching and teaching, Sutton oversees the teaching in the congregation and works with Bible study leaders and home groups.

He attended Concordia University, Ann Arbor, Mich. (’08), where he says he learned how to write in a way that combined well with his education at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. While at the Seminary, he says he learned how to think theologically and pastorally, which has resulted in the publishing of multiple sermons, Bible studies and devotional books.

He is the author of Being Lutheran: Living in the Faith You Have Received and Why Should I Trust the Bible? and is currently working on a new book about postmodern Christianity with Dr. Gene Veith (under contract with Concordia Publishing House). Sutton is finishing up a Master of Arts at Michigan State University in writing and rhetoric. He has worked on his degree part-time for four years while serving his congregation.

“The tremendous education I received at Concordia Seminary prepared me to study at a top research university,” Sutton says. “The Seminary faculty did a wonderful job of equipping me for my current graduate work.” His work has blessed him with the opportunity to speak at many different congregational, district and Synod functions.

Sutton lives in Okemos, Mich., with his wife, Elizabeth, and daughters, 4-year-old Grace, and 1-year-old Hannah. He says they fill his world with joy. And, they love to have dance parties in their living room.