Concordia Seminary’s Graduate School, known prior to 1998 as the School for Graduate Studies, traces its origins to a resolution of the 1920 Detroit convention of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS), which was implemented with the introduction of graduate courses in theology in the fall of 1922. Since that time, except for the years 1931 to 1937, when a depression economy dictated temporary suspension of its operation, the Graduate School has served the Synod and the church-at-large by contributing to the advanced theological training of pastors, teachers, and laity. In 1954, the Graduate School was designated also as a research center for the LCMS.
Initially, only course work leading to the degree of Master of Sacred Theology (S.T.M.) was offered, but in 1944, the Doctor of Theology (Th.D.) program was added. In 1956, graduate offerings were expanded further to include programs leading to the degree of Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.), which was changed in 1989 to the degree of Master of Arts (M.A.). In 1998, the nomenclature for the doctorate was changed to Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Click here for financial aid information.
You can now access the entire archive of our quarterly Graduate Studies Bulletin.