The application process has two steps, one for the Graduate School and one for Ministerial Formation.
[Note that some requirements, such as fee, transcripts and GRE scores, appear in both steps but need only be provided once.]
Step 1. Application to the Graduate School should include all of the following:
- Application Form.
For the form please download here.
- Statement of Purpose and Intent
- Please attach a short essay answering the following questions:
*Why do you want to come to Concordia Seminary, St. Louis to study?
*Why are you seeking the degree you have selected?
- Official transcripts from each college, university and seminary previously attended.
- Three academic references/letters of recommendation, including one from the last institution attended.
For forms please download here.
- All applicants are required to submit scores from the GRE exam, including the analytical writing section. These scores may be no more than 5 years old. The Concordia Seminary number for the GRE is R-6115-0.
- A $50.00 application fee (waived for international applicants).
- For applicants whose native language is not English, TOEFL test scores. The Concordia Seminary number for this test is R-6115-0.
- A brief essay, written in English, on a theological topic of your choice.
- Entry Level Competence Exams must also be completed in order to demonstrate competence for the MA. Difficulty in completing this step in the application process should be brought to the attention of the office of the Graduate School.
Step 2. Application to Ministerial Formation:
Application forms are available from the Admissions Office or you can download the Deaconess Studies Application (PDF). The application deadline is March 31. An application is not complete until it includes all of the following:
- Admissions Process Guidelines
- Background check (“Protect My Ministry” background check initiated through Admissions)
- $50 fee
- Official transcripts (note: if you have not finished college, we still need a preliminary transcript but also the final transcript after completion.)
- Pastor’s letter of recommendation
- District Interview Committee (or equivalent) report
- GRE scores
- CUS president’s recommendation or other academic reference
- Current photograph.
- Application for Residential Field Education (RFE). For more information please download here.