What is Kingdom Movers?
Moving is a way of life at Concordia Seminary and Kingdom Movers is a ministry of the Seminary community for the Seminary community. Kingdom Movers is not a formal organization with employees and set hours of operation. It is made up of volunteers who are members of the Seminary community.
The vice president of the Student Association serves as a coordinator and the primary point of contact for Kingdom Movers. The vice president posts moves online and keeps the community informed of upcoming moves. A request for Kingdom Movers assistance is not a guarantee that any specific number of people will be available to help. Rather, it is a freewill offer of assistance as time and circumstances allow people to include your move in their busy schedules.
There is no cost, but we do ask that you have water available for everyone on move day and that you, in turn, as a member of the Seminary community, help others move. As Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 4:9, “Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another.”
Kingdom Movers is simply one more opportunity to express our love for one another.
Whom do we serve?
Kingdom Movers helps any Concordia Seminary student – single or married, M.Div., deaconess, alternate route or graduate, new student, vicar or first call.
Guidelines for Incoming and Outgoing Students
- Email the Kingdom Movers coordinator to discuss your move. Check class schedules, especially during summer quarter, and try to schedule your move for a weekend or after 4 p.m. on weekdays (many students are in class Monday through Friday).
- Make sure the time you schedule the movers is when you will be ready to go. That means the moving truck is on-site and the path between the house/apartment and the truck is as short and as clear as possible.
- Avoid filling big boxes with books or other heavy things. Strive toward using a single-box size, preferably smaller boxes that one person can carry.
- Have plenty of water available for helpers.
- If you want to provide other refreshments, have them on-site ahead of time, rather than going to get them while the movers are working.
- Double-check truck availability the day prior and inform the Kingdom Movers coordinator of any delays or schedule changes.
- If you are new to the Seminary community, please see the “Guidelines for incoming students” section below. If you are a student moving out, see the “Guidelines for outgoing students” section below. If you are requesting help with both ends of a local move, please read both sections.
Guidelines For Incoming Students:
- Have your key and check-in procedures done in advance. Inform the Kingdom Movers coordinator immediately regarding schedule delays or changes.
- Kingdom Movers unloads all boxes, appliances and furniture from the truck/trailer into the dwelling but will not unpack any boxes or assemble any furniture.
- Measure all of your largest items against the space you are moving into to be sure everything will fit through doorways, hallways and into the rooms.
Guidelines For Outgoing Students:
- Make contact with friends to build a core team of helpers. Kingdom Movers will move all boxes, appliances and furniture out of the dwelling to the truck, but plan to pack the truck yourself with a few helpers.
- Disconnect and clean underneath and behind any appliances that need to be loaded.
- Out of respect for those volunteering to help, have all boxes packed and sealed, and furniture/appliances ready to go at the scheduled time.
- If a Kingdom Movers crew arrives and boxes are not taped and sealed and all furniture/appliances is not ready to move, the crew is free to leave.
How do I set up a move?
If you have any questions or would like Kingdom Movers to assist you in your move, please send an e-mail with the following information:
- Proposed date and time
- Type of move: out, in or local
- Address of move, including city, state and ZIP code (from and to sites if it is a local move)
- Current phone, new phone (if arriving) and/or cell phone
- E-mail address
- Size of truck/trailer