What is Kingdom Movers?
Kingdom Movers is a ministry of the Seminary community to the Seminary community. Kingdom Movers is not a formal organization with employees and set hours of operation; it is composed of volunteers that are members of the Seminary community. The Vice-President of the Student Association serves as a coordinator to be the primary point of contact, to post moves online and to keep the community informed of upcoming moves. A request for Kingdom Movers assistance is not a guarantee that any specific number of people will be available to help. Rather, it is a freewill offer of assistance as time and circumstances allow people to include your move in their busy schedules. Moving is a way of life at Concordia Seminary. Everyone here moves frequently, and everyone knows what a great blessing it is to have extra hands on moving day.
There is no cost, but we do ask that you have water available for everyone on move day and that you, in turn, as a member of the Seminary community, help others move. As Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 4:9, “Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another.” Kingdom Movers is simply one more opportunity to express our love for one another.
Whom do we serve?
Kingdom Movers helps any Concordia Seminary student – single or married, M.Div., Deaconess, Alternate Route or Graduate, new student, vicar, or first call.
Guidelines for Incoming and Outgoing Students:
- CLICK HERE to check the schedule for other moves scheduled at the same time you would like to move. Check class schedules, especially during summer quarter, and try to schedule your move for a weekend or after 4:00 p.m. on weekdays (many students are in class Mon. – Fri.).
- Make sure the time you schedule assumes everything is ready to go, truck on-site, path between the house/apartment and the truck as short and clear as possible.
- DON’T fill big boxes with BOOKS or other heavy things. Strive toward using a single box size, preferably smaller, “one man” boxes.
- Have plenty of water available for helpers.
- If you want to provide other refreshments, have them on-site ahead of time, rather than going to get them while we are working.
- Double-check truck availability the day prior, and inform Kingdom Movers coordinator of any delays or schedule changes.
- If you are new to the Seminary community, please see the section below titled “Guidelines for Incoming Students.” If you are a student moving out, see the section titled “Guidelines for Outgoing Students.” If you are requesting help with both ends of a local move, please read both sections.
Guidelines For Incoming Students:
- Have your key and check-in procedures done ahead of time. Inform the Kingdom Movers coordinator immediately regarding schedule delays or changes.
- Kingdom Movers unloads all boxes, appliances and furniture from the truck/trailer into the dwelling but will not unpack any boxes or assemble any furniture.
- Measure all your largest items against the space you are moving into to be sure everything will fit through doorways, hallways and into the rooms you intend.
Guidelines For Outgoing Students:
- Make contact with current acquaintances to build a core team of helpers. Kingdom Movers will move all boxes, appliances and furniture out of the dwelling to the truck, but plan to pack the truck yourself with the assistance of a few helpers.
- Disconnect and clean underneath and behind any appliances that need to be loaded.
- Out of respect for those volunteering to help, have all boxes packed and sealed and furniture/appliances ready to go at the scheduled time. If a Kingdom Movers crew arrives and boxes are not taped and sealed and all furniture/appliances ready to move, the crew is free to leave.
How do I set up a move?
If you have any questions or would like Kingdom Movers to assist you in your move, please send an e-mail with the following information:
- Proposed date and time
- Type of move: out, in or local
- Address of move including city, zip (from & to sites if local move)
- Current phone, new phone (if arriving) and/or cell phone
- E-mail address
- Size of truck/trailer