What is SWA?
SWA is short for the “Seminary Women’s Association.” All wives, fiancees and girlfriends of students at Concordia Seminary, as well as female students, are automatically members. SWA is a local society of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League. The purpose of the organization is to foster Christian growth by building each other up in Christ, to provide opportunities for Christian fun and fellowship and opportunities for service not limited to the Seminary community. Our wish is to encourage spiritual, intellectual and emotional development of the women.
In order to accomplish this, we focus on three areas:
- GROWTH – We believe that both faith and intellect must be nurtured if they are to flourish. Through our meetings and Bible studies, we hope to foster spiritual and intellectual growth.
- FELLOWSHIP – We seek to build one another up—to share, to worship together, to relax and have some fun, and to know one another, our God and ourselves a bit better. We encourage fellowship through Bible studies, meetings, the Sem Sis program, our newsletter, and various social events we sponsor. In addition, we urge wives to attend Family Night, Seminary Women’s Classes and other Seminary-sponsored events.
- SERVICE – We are optimistic that through Christian service to one another and to the Seminary community at large, we are able to aid in maintaining a Christ-centered environment at Concordia Seminary. We strive to accomplish this through the Sem Sis program, the Prayer Chain, and several programs associated with the Sonshine program (such as taking meals to families undergoing illness or experiencing the arrival of a new baby). Also, women volunteer their time at the Seminary’s Food Bank and Re-Sell It Shop. However, the most important is the valuable time that women donate in service to the Lord through our group.
- Fall Retreat Brochure
- Small Group Bible Studies
- Prayer Chain
- “Second Home” – married couples adopt a single student to share meals, special events, etc.
- Sonshine program – providing meals for new mothers or families experiencing illness or other hardship
- Special summer meetings to help returning and new Seminary women get acquainted
- Social gatherings (Craft-N-Praise, Valentine’s dance, ice skating, car rally, field day and many other fun events)
- Special Seminars
Lifelines Blog Spot – lifelines4swa.wordpress.com
Board Members 2016-2017
Anna Davis – President
Christa Reiter – Vice President
Gayle Leech – Treasurer
Amy Will – Sonshine Chair
Julie Bridgman – Communication Chair
Roseann Wyeth – Welcome Chair
Laura Dollar – First Year Representative
Bridgette Sharp – Deaconess Representative
Mia (Melanie) Mauss – Special Projects Chair
Anna Otterman – Special Projects Chair
Renee Gibbs – Staff/Wife Liason