Concordia Seminary, St. Louis’ Presidential Awards provide financial aid opportunity for incoming students who graduate from the colleges and universities of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod or Valparaiso University. Awards are granted for the student’s first year at Concordia Seminary and are non-renewable.
With the cost of undergraduate education rising rapidly and average undergraduate student debt on the rise nationally, Concordia Seminary seeks to encourage future Seminary students to attend a Concordia University System (CUS) school or Valparaiso University (VU). The Presidential Awards are then available to eligible graduates of those schools who have applied to a program in Ministerial Formation at Concordia Seminary. This includes students enrolling in the Master of Divinity or Master of Arts in Deaconess Studies programs.
All concluding CUS and VU students are eligible for a $500 award:
- Applicant must be a current CUS or VU student who has applied to a program in Ministerial Formation.
- Applicant must be graduating with a bachelor’s degree in the winter or spring of the current academic year.
- The applicant will have studied at a CUS or VU school for a minimum of four semesters before graduating.
- Applicant must receive his or her bachelor’s degree from a CUS or VU school, but not necessarily in the pre-seminary program.
In addition, Concordia Seminary is offering larger awards to exemplary students from each school. The top three applicants from each institution will be awarded $2,000, $1,500, or $1,000. These will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Cumulative grade-point average.
- Church experience: the student’s level of participation and leadership during high school years will be considered.
- Campus experience: the student’s level of participation and leadership (including chapel, devotions, Bible study, service projects, etc.)
- Pastor’s recommendation: strong endorsement from the student’s pastor, without reservation.
- Recommendation from the admissions officer.
This award is over and above any other financial aid the student will receive; receipt of this award will not affect, or be affected by, the amount of financial aid the student receives from other organizations or programs. Once the student applies to the Seminary, he or she will automatically be considered for the awards; all information for award consideration will come from the student’s applicant file. There is no separate application to complete. Students must submit their application to Concordia Seminary before November 1 of the year prior to enrollment.
For more information, download our brochure.