Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to Maintain Financial Aid Eligibility

Federal regulations require that educational institutions measure students’ progress toward a declared degree or eligible certificate, both quantitatively and qualitatively.

In accordance with these requirements, Concordia Seminary has established the following standards which measure a student’s academic progress.  These standards will be applied uniformly to all students when determining their eligibility for federal administered funds regardless of whether the student previously received these funds.

To Maintain SAP a student must:

  1. Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA
  • MDiv, Alternate Route Residential, MA Deaconess – 2.35*
  • MA and STM – 3.0
  • PhD – 3.5

*During a period of remedial enrollment a grade of 70% or better must be achieved on the applicable qualifying exam and during a period of vicarage enrollment a grade of P (Pass) must be achieved to maintain SAP.

  1. Complete at least 67% of all attempted credit hours each quarter.  
  • Courses taken as audits do not count toward satisfying the credit hour policy.
  • Credit earned through correspondence courses do not count toward satisfying the credit hour policy.
  • Grades such as I (incomplete), F (Fail), and W (withdrawal) will be considered in attempted credits.
  • Repeated courses and remedial courses count as credits attempted during each term the student is enrolled in the course.
  1. Complete a degree or certificate program in no more than 150% of the normal length of the program.
  • Students enrolled in extensions within the MA, STM, and PhD phases of exam and thesis/dissertation will not be eligible for financial aid.

Monitoring Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

At the end of each academic quarter the student’s academic record will be reviewed for satisfactory academic progress.  If a student exceeds maximum attempted enrollment hours (150%) of the normal length of the program, that student will be terminated from receiving Title IV funds for future enrollment periods.

If a student fails to meet the minimum cumulative GPA requirement or does not earn at least 67% of the credit hours attempted for the term, that student will be placed on academic progress warning for the succeeding quarter.  If at the end of the quarter, the student is still below the minimum GPA requirement and/or has not earned sufficient credit hours, the student’s eligibility for federal Title IV aid will be terminated for future enrollment periods.

Appeal Procedures for Students Terminated from Title IV Eligibility

A student may appeal his or her termination of aid eligibility if he or she believes that extenuating circumstances existed which prevented normal academic success or successful completion of the terms of satisfactory academic warning period. To appeal, the student must submit an explanation of the extenuating circumstances and include any documentation which would support their appeal.  Examples of extenuating circumstances include personal or family critical illness, natural disaster effecting the student or family’s home, assault, etc.

The appeal should be submitted to the Director of Financial Aid.  The Financial Aid Committee will then review the appeal.

If an appeal is approved, the student will be placed on probation for one academic quarter.  During this probation period, the student must meet satisfactory academic progress or meet the requirements of an academic plan which has been specified by the Financial Aid Committee.

Failure to meet the terms of the probation period will result in termination of federal Title IV aid.  The student may regain eligibility once all conditions of satisfactory academic progress have been met.

Seminary Grants/Funds

 The above policy is according to government regulations for federal Title IV aid.

All students will remain eligible for institutional funds during periods for which they are still enrolled in a degree or certificate program.  If a student is classified as a special student, has withdrawn from their program or has been dismissed from their program, they will no longer be eligible for the institutional funds.

Updated January 2012