A native of the Milwaukee area and product of the “old system,” Andrew Bartelt “prepped” at Concordia-Milwaukee and graduated from the Senior College at Ft. Wayne in 1971. He then went to Cambridge University in England (B.A. Honours, M.A.), with a year at the Lutherische Theologische Hochschule in Oberursel, Germany, before coming to Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, from which he graduated in 1976.
Dr. Bartelt served in parish ministry at Peace Lutheran Church in St. Louis, and began teaching part-time at Concordia Seminary before being called to the faculty in 1978. His doctoral work was completed at the University of Michigan (Ph.D., 1991) under David Noel Freedman. He has served the Seminary as academic advisor, department chair, dean of administration, acting president, and now serves as vice president of academic affairs/academic dean.
Dr. Bartelt teaches in the areas of “First Testament” theology, interpretation, and proclamation, especially in prophetic literature and poetry, and is currently engaged with colleagues Paul Raabe and Reed Lessing in commentary work on Isaiah. He has also taught and lectured extensively on theological education, pastoral formation, and issues of church and ministry. He also continues to serve on the pastoral staff of Christ Memorial Lutheran Church, from which his “Sunday Morning” Bible Class is broadcast on radio station KFUO.
His published works include his dissertation, The Book Around Immanuel (Eisenbrauns, 1996) and Fundamental Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic (with colleague Andy Steinmann of Concordia University-Chicago, CPH, 2004), a standard textbook for biblical languages. He and his wife, Lucy, are parents of three adult daughters, and he enjoys a round of golf when he can.
- Professor of Exegetical Theology (Old Testament)
- Assistant for Accreditation
- B.A., Concordia Senior College, Ft. Wayne, Ind.
- B.A., Cambridge University, Cambridge, England
- M.A., Cambridge University, Cambridge, England
- M.Div., Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, Mo.
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
801 Seminary Pl.
St. Louis, MO 63105
Office phone: 314-505-7013
- TL080, Elementary Hebrew
- EO101, Biblical Hebrew Readings
- EO107, Isaiah and the Prophets
- EO401, Old Testament Lectionary Readings
- EO440, Isaiah 1-39
- EO442, Isaiah 40-66
- EO471, Old Testament Lessons
- P436, Preaching Old Testament Lessons