Senior Workshop Saturday, April 5, 2014.
Why a Workshop on caring for our senior saints and those who are their caregivers?
By way of a brief introduction, these reasons are offered:
- It is God’s command and desire.
- Many elderly members of our churches need pastoral care as shut-ins and nursing home residents.
- Given all the elderly have done and contributed to society, it is with compassion and appreciation that we should be motivated to reach out to them in loving care.
- With the rapid growth of our senior population there is an increased demand for pastoral care.
- Many Seminarians graduating have little experience ministering to elderly members in a hospital, nursing home or shut-in environment.
- More families are taking on caregiving responsibilities for their aged loved ones and it is creating additional stress for them.
A 2013 report on population growth states that by 2030, 20% of our population will be 65 years of age. Within our denomination that number is a little higher. It is important that as a church body we provide church-workers with educational information to assist them in ministering to the spiritual needs of our senior members and their caregivers. As one goes out into congregational or institutional ministry it will be imperative to have the knowledge necessary to give Christ-entered care to our elderly brothers and sisters and their caregivers. Please join us as we learn more about giving Christian care to these special groups of people.
- Registration: 8:30 – 9:00 a.m.
- Opening – (9:00 – 9:15)
- First Breakout – (9:30 – 10:15)
- Second Breakout – (10:30 – 11:15)
- Third Breakout – (11:30 – 12:15)
- Wrap-Up Discussion and Closing – (12:15 – 12:30)
Plan for a 30 – 35 min. presentation and 10 – 15 min. Question and Answer.
The location will be Sieck Hall 202. Refreshments are being provided by the Concordia Life Team.
- Rev. Ed Dubberke – Opening talk on Senior Care from a Personal Perspective
- Rev. Jeffrey Scheer – Ministry to the Elderly in an Institutional Setting
- Carol Dippold – Ministry to the Elderly at Home/Shut-in
- Rev. Nathan Ruback – Ministry to Families Providing Senior Care
Cost: $5/ person (free for CSL community)
For Information view the event flyer or contact: Dave and June McCarty 314-802-8456