Justification from Scripture to Sermon: A Cross-Disciplinary Study on the Central Doctrine of the Faith
Dr. David Maxwell
Louis A. Fincke and Anna B. Shine Professor of Systematic Theology at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis
This one-day workshop will explore the doctrine of justification from multiple angles. In so doing, it attempts to answer the following questions:
- What are the foundations of the doctrine of justification in both the Old and New Testaments?
- What aspects of this biblical foundation are emphasized in the Lutheran Confessions?
- What did the early church have to say about justification?
- Is the Lutheran understanding something entirely new?
- What are the contemporary challenges to justification? How might we respond?
- How can we preach justification in a way that is fresh and compelling?