Seventeen students in the Specific Ministry Pastor (SMP) Program at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis were recognized for their first calls to ministry Friday, Jan. 14, in the Chapel of St. Timothy and Titus.
The SMP Program is a four-year state of the art distance education program that prepares men for specific pastoral ministries in The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS). SMP students receive academic training in the setting where they will continue to serve following ordination.
The following SMP students were recognized for receiving calls:
- Shaun Adams, Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church, Spokane, Wash., LCMS Northwest District
- Ray Anderson, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church/St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Leola/Aberdeen, S.D., LCMS South Dakota District
- Mark Bray, Our Savior Lutheran Church, McKinney, Texas, LCMS Texas District
- Brian Crocitto, The Life Lutheran Church, Old Westbury, N.Y., LCMS Atlantic District
- Adam Gray, call pending, King of Glory Lutheran Church, Providence Forge, Va., LCMS Southeastern District
- David Keddington, call pending, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, Alaska, LCMS Northwest District
- Leo Patrick Luke, Our Savior Lutheran Church, Orlando, Fla., LCMS Florida-Georgia District
- Henry Pahlkotter, Peace Lutheran Ministries, Saginaw, Mich., LCMS Michigan District
- Roger Penny, Messiah Lutheran Church, Charlotte, N.C., LCMS Southeastern District
- Christopher A. Ryan, St. Mark Lutheran Church, Chesterland, Ohio, LCMS Ohio District
- Christopher M. Ryan, call pending, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Buffalo, Minn., LCMS Minnesota South District
- David Schmitt, Trinity Lutheran Church, Park Hills, Mo., LCMS Missouri District
- Carl Seim, Lord of Glory Lutheran Church, Elk River, Minn., LCMS Minnesota North District
- Marvin St. Pierre, call pending, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Bakersfield, Calif., LCMS California-Nevada-Hawaii District
- Rex Watt, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Bellingham, Wash., LCMS Northwest District
- Jessy Wilson, call pending, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Delmar, N.Y., LCMS Atlantic District
- Steven Zandstra, Grace Lutheran Church, Cheyenne Wells, Colo., LCMS Rocky Mountain District
“We rejoice with these SMP students celebrating new calls into pastoral ministry,” Dr. W. Mart Thompson, director of the Seminary’s SMP Program and associate professor of Practical Theology. “For their service in specific ministries across the country, we give thanks to our Lord. We share in this joy with their families and those they serve in the Holy Ministry.”
A recording of the service is available for viewing.
The Seminary recognizes and celebrates calls throughout the year for students enrolled in programs such as the SMP Program, the Center for Hispanic Studies (CHS), Ethnic Immigrant Institute of Theology (EIIT) and others. The Seminary’s primary Call Day is held in the spring when students receive their first calls to ministry as well as assignments for vicarage and deaconess internships. Call Day is set for April 26.
About Concordia Seminary
Concordia Seminary, St. Louis provides Gospel-centered graduate-level theological education for pastors, missionaries, deaconesses, scholars and other leaders in the name of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS). To learn more, visit csl.edu.