About Concordia Seminary


Concordia Seminary, St. Louis aspires to be the world leader in Lutheran ministerial formation, scholarship and theological resources centered in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Concordia Seminary serves church and world by providing theological education and leadership centered in the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ for the formation of pastors, missionaries, deaconesses, scholars, and leaders in the name of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.

Our core values:

Faithfulness

to the Scriptures and Confessions

Servanthood

to Christ and His Church

Responsiveness

to the contemporary context of the world

Excellence

in all our endeavors

About Concordia Seminary, St. Louis

Our History

Concordia Seminary was founded in 1839 in Perry County, Mo., by a group of emigrants from Germany. In 1849, the preparatory division and the school of theology of the young institution moved to St. Louis and relocated to South Jefferson Avenue and Winnebago Street. The preparatory division moved to Fort Wayne, Ind., in 1861. In 1926, the campus moved to its current 72-acre site in suburban Clayton.

Today, Concordia Seminary is one of two private seminaries of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) providing men for the holy ministry of Word and Sacrament in the LCMS, preparing women through its Deaconess Studies program and offering advanced degree programs to qualified students of theology. It also serves as a center for theological research, scholarship and continuing education of the clergy. Since its inception, Concordia Seminary has provided more than 12,500 professional workers for the church.

Concordia Seminary, The Log Cabin College in Altenburg, Mo. 1839
1839

A group of German immigrants built a small log cabin and founded Concordia Seminary (originally known as “The Log Cabin College”) in Altenburg, Mo., part of Perry County.

Concordia Seminary, South Jefferson Avenue St. Louis 1850
1850

The community of Altenburg generously agreed to give its school to The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, which moved the Seminary to a building on South Jefferson Avenue in St. Louis.

Concordia Seminary students 1883
1883

To accommodate its growing student population, the Seminary replaced the original South Jefferson Avenue building with a large Gothic structure complete with 136-foot-high steeple, a library, dormitories and a gymnasium.

Concordia Seminary, Clayton, Mo. 1926
1926

Concordia Seminary’s campus moved to its current 72-acre site in suburban Clayton, Mo. Nearly 75,000 people attended the dedication ceremony.

Concordia Seminary, 1956
1956

Concordia Seminary enrollment reached an all-time high. New building projects throughout the 1950s and 1960s resulted in new structures designed in the “ultra plain” architecture of the day.

Concordia Seminary's Luther Tower construction, 1966
1966

Construction was completed on Luther Tower, which rises 120 feet over Walther Arch. The 49-bell carillon was installed in 1970.

The Chapel of St. Timothy and St. Titus, Concordia Seminary 1992
1992

The Chapel of St. Timothy and St. Titus was dedicated with more than 1,700 guests in attendance.

Concordia Seminary today
Today

Faculty and staff continue to build on the rich heritage of the Seminary’s storied history, and are committed to providing sound theological education and vibrant leadership development to future generations of church workers.

Chevron
Chevron

Concordia Seminary By The Numbers

Page 1 Created with Sketch.

36

faculty members

Page 1 Created with Sketch.

101

staff members

Page 1 Created with Sketch.

573

students in the 2016-17 Academic Year

Page 1 Created with Sketch.

12,500

alumni

6,500

living

Page 1

12

endowed professorships

Page 1 Created with Sketch.

106

students participated in 2016 Commencement

Page 1 Created with Sketch.

6

academic degrees offered

Accreditations

Concordia Seminary is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. The following degree programs are approved: Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Deaconess Studies, Master of Arts in Religion, Doctor of Ministry, Master of Sacred Theology and Doctor of Philosophy. Concordia Seminary is also approved for a Comprehensive Distance Education Program.

Concordia Seminary is an accredited member of the Higher Learning Commission, participating in the Academic Quality Improvement Program Pathway.

Concordia Seminary participates in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).