On the east side of the library sits a replica of the original Concordia Seminary — a log cabin.
The original school, known as the “Log Cabin College,” was built in 1839 in Perry County, Mo., by German-Saxon immigrants. Upon arriving, the settlers immediately built a school to provide Christian education for their children.
The school was housed in a one-room log cabin and served as an elementary and preparatory school. The opening enrollment consisted of four girls and seven boys ranging in age from 5 to 15. The school later became the first college and seminary of The Lutheran—Church Missouri Synod.
The original 20-by-17-foot log cabin school, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was moved to its present location in central Altenburg, Mo., in 1912.
The cabin on campus served as part of the set in the film, “Call of the Cross,” which was made in 1939 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Saxon emigration to the United States.