Concordia Seminary Newsroom
Calls, internship assignment announced at fall call service
Students recognized for completion of programs
Representing four of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis’ programs, five students were recognized Friday in the Chapel of St. Timothy and Titus for receiving pastoral and diaconal calls and completing their programs, and one student was recognized for receiving her deaconess internship assignment.
“I am confident that these men and women will seek to serve our Lord’s church faithfully and with well-developed skills,” said Dr. Glenn Nielsen, director of Placement, Vicarage and Deaconess Internships, and Certification. “Each name spoken represents a person who has been sent to bring Jesus to people in congregations and institutions who need His gracious and loving presence. Today was a joyous day, and we give praise to our God for these men and women.”
Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
Two students completed the M.Div. Program, a residential Ministerial Formation program that prepares men for the pastoral office:
· Adam Flanick, Our Savior Lutheran Church, Gladwin, Mich., LCMS Michigan District
· Joshua Makey, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church of South Hills, Pittsburgh, Penn., LCMS Eastern District
Center for Hispanic Studies (CHS)
One student was recognized for completing certification through CHS, the Seminary’s Spanish language pastoral and diaconal formation program:
· Erwin Andrés Valencia Meneses, call pending, Saint Paul Lutheran Church, Mount Prospect, Ill., LCMS Northern Illinois District
Cross-cultural Ministry Center (CMC)
One student completed pastoral preparation through the Cross-cultural Ministry Center, established by Concordia University, Irvine, Calif., in conjunction with Concordia Seminary and with the LCMS Pacific Southwest District, for service in the sociocultural contexts of specific ethnic populations and multicultural communities:
· Timothy Potthoff, Bethel Lutheran Church, Buena Park, Calif., LCMS Pacific Southwest District
One student completed the Residential Deaconess Studies Program for certification as a commissioned deaconess; and one student completed requirements for internship eligibility:
Deaconess call placement
· Sarah Rusche, call pending, Lutheran Ministries of Mercy at Luther Home of Mercy, Williston, Ohio, LCMS Ohio District
Deaconess internship assignment
· Dawn Werner, Holy Cross Lutheran Church and School, Collinsville, Ill., LCMS Southern Illinois District
The Seminary recognizes and celebrates calls throughout the year although the campus’ primary Call Day celebration typically is held in April. During call celebrations, students receive their first calls to ministry as well as assignments for vicarages and deaconess internships. The Seminary’s next primary Call Day is set for April 26, 2023.
About Concordia Seminary
Concordia Seminary, St. Louis provides Gospel-centered graduate-level theological education for pastors, missionaries, deaconesses, scholars and other leaders in the name of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS). To learn more, visit csl.edu.